Our new growth-stage accelerator in New York is recruiting for three positions:
Accelerator Program Director
Operations and Grants Manager
Who We Are
We are a soon-to-be launched not-for-profit business accelerator working to significantly speed the growth of the inclusive clean energy economy of New York State, and beyond. Our goal is to help fulfill the necessarily aggressive climate targets enacted by the City and State, by creating an ‘accelerator of excellence’ focused on scaling the best growth-stage clean energy companies from around the world. We will achieve this goal by assisting with business development, corporate partnerships, tailored technical support, and providing non-dilutive grants up to $500k per qualifying company looking to grow in New York. We are excited for our official launch in Spring 2020, and have big ambitions to contribute to the impressive and growing ecosystem we’re joining.
We are funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), a public benefit corporation advancing clean, resilient, and affordable energy solutions for New Yorkers. We are a chapter of New Energy Nexus, an international non-profit organization that strives to achieve a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible by supporting diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California as the California Clean Energy Fund and now operates programs in China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa.
Accelerator Program Director (pdf)
The Accelerator Program Director will design and run our core programming, creating a world-class growth-stage accelerator program from its inception. They will create and execute a process designed to help selected participants build capacity through need assessments, tailored support and connection to resources. Each cohort will focus on a different part of the clean energy economy (e.g. buildings, offshore wind, electric vehicles, etc.), and for each, the Accelerator Program Director will develop and oversee a relevant startup selection process, program curriculum, mentor/technical assistance provider identification and management, and related program services.
The person in this role will ensure the programming brings real and unique value to the participants, particularly in light of the atypical design of the accelerator with its focus on growth-stage companies, corporate match-making and a new clean-energy focus for each cohort. The Accelerator Program Director reports to the Managing Director and may have direct reports down the road but will not have any initially. They will work closely with the Partnership Director, whose role is the sourcing and management of corporate partners and investors. We compensate competitively and offer medical, dental, and vision benefits. Our office is located in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an innovative hub for entrepreneurs and creators. Unfortunately relocation assistance is not available.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an individual whose passion is to design and build a clean energy ‘accelerator of excellence’ program from its inception. The Accelerator Program Director would have significant experience helping to scale growth stage companies, and knowledge of the clean energy, environment or sustainable business sector. They would thrive in an early-stage environment by being a fast learner, self-motivated, solution-oriented, resourceful, and able to prioritize and multitask.
- Design and build a world-class global accelerator program for the clean energy space, focused on adding real and unique value to growth-stage startups
- Help evaluate the needs of participants in order to scale, and advise and connect them with the necessary resources
- Assess and monitor best practices in the accelerator world to understand what is and isn’t working and ensure we’re pioneering a best-in-class program design
- Oversee an inclusive startup selection process, including the development and management of the selection committee
- Develop tailored program curriculum, mentoring and technical support services for the startup companies
- Help manage program execution, including hosting multiple major events per year
- Build a strong mentor and technical expert network to support the program’s startups
- Ensure needs of participants are monitored and well-anticipated through the process
- Monitor and iterate program design to ensure it’s adding unique value to participants
- Bachelor’s Degree+ with significant experience working directly with accelerators or incubators helping companies scale, or within startups helping them scale (Founder or COO who’s scaled a growth stage company, run a growth-stage accelerator, VC principal/senior associate, etc.)
- Experience building a significant program from scratch (or formative stage) that engages third party service providers to improve the capacity of participants
- Experience in the clean energy, environment and/or sustainable business world
- Founder-friendly approach and knowledge of the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Coaching mindset, experience supporting others as they build great companies, and building community between companies so they can support each other
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to smoothly manage large events
- Proven project management in lean, complex, fast-paced environments
- Strong global network of partners in entrepreneurship, innovation, and energy
- Execution-focused with a sense of urgency, solutions oriented and resourcefulness
Operation and Grants Manager (pdf)
The Operations and Grants Manager will define and run the processes required for contract management, grants administration for both public and private funders, tracking and reporting, and back office functions. The Operations and Grants Manager will shape the infrastructure, enabling a compliant and effective program.
The person in this role will safeguard the compliance function within the organization to assure sound due-diligence practices and procedures. This role reports to the Managing Director and may have direct reports down the road but will not have any initially.
We compensate competitively and offer medical, dental, and vision benefits. Our office is located in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an innovative hub for entrepreneurs and creators. This role could be served remotely, at least initially.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an individual whose passion is process design & operational excellence, and is excited by the opportunity to define and create the organization’s infrastructure from its inception. The Operations and Grants Manager would ideally have experience in clean energy/sustainable business and thrive in an early stage environment by being a fast learner, self-motivated, solution-oriented, tech-savvy, and able to prioritize and multitask.
- Manage the processes and compliance requirements of the SOW with NYSERDA, including contract management, invoicing, reporting
- Oversee all activities related to the grants management of public and private funders (e.g. contracting, funding and payment reporting requirements and procedures)
- Manage the grants deployment process and compliance with grantees throughout the grant lifecycle (e.g. database management of pre/post-award processing, contracting, tracking payments, and reviewing and producing relevant reports)
- Establish and oversee contract requirements for all vendors, including service providers, project partners and stakeholders
- Ideally, advising on agreements between corporate partners and startups in the accelerator program, including pilots, MOUs, LOIs and financings
- Define and manage the company’s financial processes, including creating and managing budgets, invoicing and bookkeeping
- Establish and support back office functions including sourcing and managing database systems, oversee CRM program, IT, sourcing, onboarding and facilities management
- Contribute to the creation of thoughtful policies to produce and improve internal processes
- Bachelor’s Degree+ with significant work experience, including executing the end-to-end process of managing and deploying public grants
- At least five years leading a grants compliance, finance, contracts, or similar function
- Experience working in non-profit organizations, ideally focused on clean energy, environment and/or sustainable business
- Experience working in a fast-paced, early stage, entrepreneurial environment, in a role that required prioritizing competing demands
- Passion for process development and management
- Strong database management experience
- Strong attention to detail and project management skills
- Strong analytical skills, particularly with financial data and budgets
- Collaborative work style and ability to achieve goals in a lean work environment with urgency and a solution focus
Community Manager (pdf)
The Community Manager will be responsible for creating and sustaining a dynamic and engaged community in support of our mission to significantly speed the growth of the inclusive clean energy economy. This will include building a valuable and engaged community among the startups in the accelerator program, and among the wider community of interested innovators, entrepreneurs, not-for-profits, experts, creatives & investors, through innovative online and real-world activities.
The person in this role will also get to support and learn all aspects of the business, as an integral member of our small and nimble team building the accelerator from its inception. The Community Manager reports to the Accelerator Program Director, and will work closely with the Head of Strategic Communications and the Partnership Director.
We compensate competitively and offer medical, dental, and vision benefits. Our office is located in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an innovative hub for entrepreneurs and creators. Unfortunately relocation assistance is not available.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an individual whose passion is to be an integral part of defining and building a world-class clean energy accelerator from its inception. Someone with proven experience and an intuitive ability to build community, both in the real and virtual world. They would thrive in an early-stage environment by being a fast learner, tech-savvy, self-motivated, solution-oriented, resourceful and excited to jump in to learn and support all aspects of the business.
- Build and manage a strong and valuable community amongst the startups and alumni of the accelerator program
- Help prioritize, assign and address the individual needs of the start-ups as they move through the program
- Build and manage social media channels and outreach programs
- Help manage and execute summits, events, newsletters
- Support the Accelerator Program Manager as needed in the development and execution of the program design
- Support the Head of Strategic Communications as needed in the development and execution of brand building, outreach, and other execution
- Help with administrative and facilities management to ensure the smooth running of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3+ years experience working as a community manager or similar role building, serving and sustaining a network or community
- Experience planning, launching and executing community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series, etc.)
- Experience in the clean energy, environment or sustainable business world
- Excellent communication skills; interpersonal, verbal and written
- Ability to identify and track relevant community KPIs
- Hands on experience with social media management
- Execution-focused with a sense of urgency, solutions oriented and resourcefulness in a lean, all-hands-on-deck work environment
How to Apply
We value and celebrate diversity among our employees and in our movement. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, family/marital status, or veteran status. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and why you’re right for one of the following roles to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
Accelerator Program Director [First Name] [Last Name]
Operations and Grants Manager [First Name] [Last Name]
Community Manager [First Name] [Last Name]
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.